Sunday, September 30, 2012

Wacken Open Air 2009 Blog, Day 3

When I went to the entrance of the main stages area, it was like being in a Viking beach landing getting ready to pillage an unsuspecting village.
One of the bands I saw at Wacken was Gamma Ray, and there is actually an interesting story about my live experience with this band. The very first Metal festival I went to was ProgPower USA 3 back in 2002, and that was my first time seeing Gamma Ray, and I have not seen them perform again until this trip.
As you can see, a fan wanted to get in the “Kodak” moment.
Inside the main stages area were additional vendors, food courts, and some other stores.
There was a section of vendor tents that caught my attention, and I couldn’t (or could?6?6?6?) believe they actually had a guitar store on the festival grounds. Now, don’t get me wrong, this wasn’t a HUGE surprise considering what they were selling and the target audience, but the question I ask is how are you going to keep a $2000 guitar safe from the hustle and bustle of Wacken?6?6?6?
There was also a Washburn Guitar tent to promote their goods, but it's how they got peoples attention that made them a unique fixture.
This is Wacken, they had to do something to grab everybody’s attention, so they had hot chicks helming the booth, which definitely *MAY* convert some of the guitar aficionados to the Washburn cause, at least for that moment. JACKSON GUITARS 4 LIFE \m/ !6!6!6!
They also had these hot chicks with green military hats and white ribbons across their bodies, I forgot exactly what they were promoting, but they definitely added to the whole Wacken experience.
There was a Wacken rule that animals were not allowed, but that didn’t stop some of them from coming in.
Even the holidays wanted to get in on the Wacken action. Here we have the Easter bunny enjoying the festival.
The amount of mud that Wacken produces is impossible to measure, and as with any natural hazard, it’s expected to cause people to slip, fall and wrestle with each other.
When I saw this dude at the festival, it was awesome to see someone wearing the Stars and Stripes.
One section of Wacken that has always been popular with Metalheads is the Medieval section of the festival grounds. Having a renaissance fair (with the usual food and events found at such gatherings) right next to the campgrounds, tents and stages is the ultimate form of convenience ladies and gentlemen.
If I was to choose the central feature of the Medieval section, it would have to be the Viking Ship Bar, helmed by beautiful women dressed up in medieval garb to serve the Metal Horde the nectar of the Metal Gods \m/
Also inside the Medieval section of Wacken was the Medieval Stage, and one of the bands I was looking forward to preforming live was Swashbuckle from New Jersey. I have heard of them before, but not their music and never seen them live, but they were easily one of the best live bands I have seen throughout my run in Wacken '09. If you ever get a chance to see Swashbuckle live, do it, you will not be disappointed.
One thing I did before going to Wacken was watching the YouTube videos of the shenanigans that happen in Wacken, and one of them was the Metal Limbo. When I stumbled upon those group of guys, it was like meeting a celebrity, sort of.
Another band that has been on my list of bands to watch was Motörhead, and watching them for the first time in my life in Wacken enhanced the experience.
During Motörhead's set, they lit up the Wacken Cow Skull that was between the True Metal Stage and Black Metal Stage, and it was a sight that I will never forget for a long time.
I know I mentioned on one of the first posts about how Wacken at night looks like, so here’s more pictures of Wacken at it’s best time. These were taken after Amon Amarth’s set. Unfortunately, the pictures for Amon Amarth's set did not come out good because I was so far back and was dark (they performed at around 2:00AM). But it was a kick ass show as always and definitely one of the best shows in the many times I have seen them.
I also mentioned in one of the earlier posts how cold Wacken was, and here’s the proof.

No comments:

Post a Comment