Sunday, September 30, 2012

Euro Metal Fest Tour 2011, Wacken Day 4

The next day, after freezing my ass off in my tent, I awoke to our campground coming to life, and of course, had to have something to start it off right. The REAL Havana Club, straight from Cuba.
One of the many spectacles at Wacken Open Air are the Firefighters Brass Band, which is one of Wackens many staples that everyone has come to enjoy.
An unintentional benefit at Wacken is having pretty ladies help you with the purchase of your schwag.
Wacken had its own outlet store where the goods of previous years are available at a discounted price, this is what we call a Metalheads bargain bin. Right next to it was the Poker Tent where Metalheads can take a chance and win some (or lose some, it's all the same to me, and so sayeth the Lemmy von Motörhead) their spending money.
When I was last in Wacken in 2009, the tent was very small, but this year, it has grown up to become a monstrosity that houses the wrestling ring and one of the smaller stages (the Bullhead City Stage).
Nothing says scary circus more than a creepy dude welcoming you to the entertainment, attraction, and bearded ladies (or in this case, bearded vikings running amok).
This was my first time seeing Onslaught, and there's a good reason why they are the legends... putting on a hell of a performance.
After the Onslaught gig, I saw the same ladies from my last visit to Wacken who were promoting a contest. Even now, I still don't know what that contest is or what is it about, but the chicks promoting it were doing a excellent job as always (and if somebody wants to tell me, please do so at i6z6a6n@hotmail.com).
Remember the smaller viking ship from earlier? These are some of the fine beverages it was serving. The first one is the Wickinger Blut Knochen Shot (Viking Blood Bone Shot), the other was the Wacken Blut (Wacken Blood). Nothing screams HEAVY METAL than some blood from A Viking and a Cow Skull.
Bagpipes and kilts, seems Scrooge McDuck decided to get in on the action.
This day was one of the important days of the trip since it was Matt Barlow of Iced Earth last concert and it was an amazing gig. When the band left the stage, it was the end of a legacy that ended on a very epic note.
Many thanks for the years of good music Matt, you will not be forgotten.
After an intense concert of the likes I haven't experienced in some time, I needed to drown my thirst with the holy water that is the Wacken water.
Mambo Kurt is one of Wacken's legends due to his approach in converting Metal tunes (plus punk and pop tunes) to lounge-style music and all the while pulling it off as a one man show. In this gig, he destroyed a Nintendo DS, with the crowd cheering the slaughter.
The cows near the farm wanted to see Mambo Kurt smash up a DS too.
The Large Viking Ship at night was amazing to look at, and it forced one to come in close to get a better look at the ladies serving the brew.
This was my 2nd time seeing Motörhead (my first time was in Wacken 2009), and as always, the Killmaster delivered the goods with his crew.
The reason we were behind the entrance gate is because the staff locked it up and asked people to go to another entrance. I decided to plop myself there since I was tired of all the walking I did throughout the weekend.
To end my Wacken 2011 appropriately, a huge fire erupted during Motörheads performance. This was my last memory of Wacken 2011, and a proper ending it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment