Sunday, September 30, 2012

Wacken Open Air 2009 Blog, Day 2

2nd day in Wacken, and it was the first “official” day of the festival, meaning, the day the main bands stormed the stages. Wacken is a 3 day festival, but they do allow people to show up 2 days before so there is plenty of time to set up camp and know the layout/people of the festival, as it is as huge as everyone claims it to be. Besides those of us who traveled by shuttle bus, there was also many of us who brought their own cars, and were able to camp as well.
There was also campers who were fortunate enough to bring a camper trailer, Wackens equivalency of a suburban home.
As you can see in the next pic, headbangers marching in rows and columns was a common sight at Wacken.
I started the 2nd day with a cup of coffee from the WOA Breakfast concession stand.
During the middle of the day, I was inside my tent resting and taking it easy, when out of nowhere I felt a collision on top of my tent. A canopy landed right on top of my tent.
The winds were really heavy, and managed to lift a lot of peoples canopies from their respected camp sites and throw them around like napkins.
The first official day of Wacken also saw the Metal Market become Heavy Metals version of Black Thursday, meaning, the busiest shopping day of the year.
The selection of chow at Wacken was a diverse selection of foods that catered to every ones taste buds, and it was very good.
I also went to the beer gardens a couple of times to enjoy the atmosphere a beer garden can only provide.
The lockers that were available at Wacken helped a great deal when it came to my valuables (especially my passport), and they were very affordable.
Another attraction was the Bullhead City Wrestling events they had throughout the festival run, consisting of pro wrestling, oil wrestling and some bands performing inside the tent.
Near the Wrestling tent, they also had some activities to spice up Wacken, like the Mechanical Bull Ride and the Soccer Game. The Soccer Game had prizes if you scored a goal in one of the two holes, I think it was shirts or something like that, was too drunk to remember.
The Wrestling event drew a lot of fans, and it was pretty awesome since I happen to be a wrestling fan myself, so it was like combining 2 things I liked into one.
There was a band behind the ring that performed before the second pre-event entertainment. Welcome to Rock n’ Wrestling part deux.
The second pre-event entertainment came in the form of 2 hot German ladies doing a striptease for the crowd, and man were they beautiful.
The wrestling was pretty cool, and the crowd was really getting into the action. I haven’t heard a crowd react like this at a wrestling event in a long time.
Speaking of the fans, there were 2 fans in particular who were dressed for the occasion who were very cool people.
The wrestling event ended with the 2 German ladies coming back out to finish what they started by baring their cha-cha’s for all to see, and they were very nice. NOTE: I know I didn’t post any pic of the ladies cha-cha’s in full view, but because of blah, blah, blah, and Bill Curtis episodes about crime/justice and all the legal mumbo jumbo, I chose not to. Just take my word, they were very nice.
There were plenty of bands playing at the same time, and this is when Wackens negatives start to show: TOO MANY AWESOME BANDS AT THE SAME TIME, ONLY ONE CAN BE CHOSEN!6!6!6!
I will say this, when I saw the following pic, it was like seeing a huge battlefield from some war flick, and it was one of the very few times I was intimated in my life (in a good way).

No comments:

Post a Comment