Sunday, December 16, 2012

Barge to Hell 2012, Day 3

The invasion of the Bahamas. At least, that's what it looked like when you consider a horde of black-shirt clad, raging Metal Maniacs pouring out of the ship and into Nassau. This was the port of call to give ourselves a break from the confines of the boat and explore a unique island most of us have never visited before.

As someone who has lived in Miami his entire life, the Bahamas are always mentioned in some way, shape or form. From the locals who travel there, to the Bahamians who live in my city, I have always known, but never experienced the Bahamas, until this trip. What lay ahead was an adventure that was foreign, but familiar, as well as some Metal discoveries I never expected to find.





The point of entry to the Bahamas.


I'm going to be very honest about this entire trip, I had no clue what I wanted to do once I arrived to Nassau. The only thing I was looking forward to was hitting the town and beach, and that's it. Until I came across a guy near the port entrance/exit who convinced me to rent a scooter, since the argument he made was I can't see much on foot, but on a scooter, I can see a hell of a lot more. He was right.


Sons of Anarchy goes going to the Bahamas.


Near the port, traffic was murderous, and actually a lot worse than Miami, and that's saying something. The fact the cars only had mere inches to get out of parking spots, turns, and everything else, it was like a tank trying to navigate in a miniature golf course without wrecking anything.




"Wok N Rolla". The first of many Metal discoveries. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to eat at this establishment as I had plans for another restaurant (that I saw earlier near the port).


This was the typical scene of my ride into the Bahamas, nothing but oceans on one side.



The dignified "hold the helmet while standing in a fancy background" pose.


During my ride, I encountered a cave (another Metal Discovery). Caves are very Metal as this is how Metalheads rooms tend to look like.


They promised bats, but the lil' bastards never showed up. This made the cave lose Metal points.


The throne of sea shells. If Poseidon ever had a throne, this is it.


The gravel meal. Rocks with a side dish of pebble and a bottle of sand to wash it down.




Stairway to Booty (not the ladies ass, more like the pirate treasure chest).





From the inside out.





The scooter wondering where I got to.




The Bahamas version of "Stairway to Heaven".


You knew this pic was coming.


The view from the cave. The previous stairway dose take you to Valhalla.


Off in the distance, the battleship Majesty of the Seas docked awaiting the ransacking Vikings to finish up with the days haul of goods.




Metalheads spotted invading the north coast.


This is my Killers towel finest hour, and for obvious reasons \m/


This guy was with the camera crew that has been recording the events on the Barge to Hell, and considering the shirt he was wearing, it was only appropriate the guy gets to be in front of the lens instead of behind it. UP THE IRONS dude \m/


Probably the only pic of me in the beach in existence.


The only thing missing is the hand grabbing it. If you don't get it, shame on you.


Majesty of the Seas and her staff enjoying the only peace it will ever get for this trek.


I managed to visit a number of different beaches in my "Sons of Anarchy" Bahamas special, and while I would post all the pictures, I will only go with 2 beaches for one simple reason. They are the bipolar opposites of each other. On the first beach, Junkanoo, occupied by the usual tourist and the black-clad invading horde.





On the other extreme end, Saunders Beach. Why? The only living beings I was sharing the beach with were the seagulls.





The jazz-man in full force. Gotta love his sense of fashion.


As the day was progressing towards the afternoon, I returned the scooter to it's pack to go about the main part of Nassau on foot since time was becoming limited, and I wanted to enjoy this part of the trip.


A Harley-Davidson store in this town? Seems Nassau is becoming more Metal by the minute \m/




This was the restaurant I wanted to dine in. I saw it while riding off into the Bahamas. Upon returning, the restaurant was closed for a couple of hours since they were operating under the "breakfast-lunch-dinner" schedule. The worst part, the potential to have some kick ass Belgian beer (hopefully the ones I don't have in my neck of the woods) lost.



Old church. Very fortunate this church is made of stone, otherwise, and considering the mob that just came into the island...


One of the heavier Metal Discoveries, the Pirate Museum. I didn't have a chance to go in as my time in Nassau was becoming very limited, but if I would have known before, I would have scheduled it. But a redemption was right next door.



The Pirates Pub & Grill. A Running Wild redemption.


Sing it with me, "UN-DER, JOLLY ROGER".


2 American classics.


Just like Vegas, minus the desert and the mountains.


The bathrooms were not spared the plank.



The pubs backyard.











One of the Bahamas beer, Kalik. It was very good, with a sense of fashion.


The menu, and very ironic that the grub is only 2 letters away from spelling out the namesake of the event all of us are currently in.


What they are telling you here is pay up or else...


Some random but awesome decoratives of the pub.



A mighty omen from the Nectar Gods (and it actually came to truth, to be continued in a later post).


Don't let the word beer deceive you. This is just like ginger ale, but spicier. By itself, amazing, but when spiked with Captain Morgans Rum (:::SURPRISE:::), you have a beverage that will kick your arse with a peg leg.


Hot dog with fries.


Metalheads ransacking the locals.


The road back to the Majesty.


Atlantis rises from the oceans.





Another chapter coming to a close.


Once I got back inside the vessel, I headed for my cabin to hose down the boardshorts and sandals and take a very necessary shower and a much needed nap from all the trekking in Nassau.

Once awakened, it was time for some Grave, ROUND 2, FIGHT!


This is not a rave.



What happens when you are considerate to fellow Metalheads?6?6?6?


You get the \m/ HORNS \m/


Next up is Paradise Lost.



It's all in the details.


A common sight amongst some of the Barge to Hell Vikings, the wrist bands from the Metal Fests they have attended. Some were holding back as to not annoy those of us who don't have as many wristbands. Others were flamboyant as a peacock spreading it's feathers (:::INSERT JEALOUSY HERE:::).


Moonspell and the obligatory "over the drummer shot".


Sacred Reich, ROUND 2, FIGHT!






Karaoke, the Metal Fans edition. Sorry for the image quality, my camera is finally showing it's age and it's about time to replace it. Don't underestimate it though, it has seen 1x ProgPower USA (2008), 2x Wacken Open Air (2009 & 2011), 1x Brutal Assault (2011), road trips, and even Channel 13 posts (too many to count) and just about every other excuse to use it.






No comments:

Post a Comment