Saturday, December 22, 2012

Barge to Hell 2012, Day 5, Schwag, Final Words and Thank You

I6Z6A6N NOTE: This was posted on January 3, 2013, but the date reflected on the top is for organizational purposes.

The morning after the last full day of Barge to Hell. Just like my previous Metal Festival experiences, this is the day when you leave behind a magical place that can't be replicated. When you look around and see people who understand and get what you're all about, and realize your going back to "civilization", it's a terrible feeling but a necessary evil as moments like these don't happen often for Metal fans (unless you're in Europe, lucky bastards \m/). With this negative feeling comes a positive memory that will remain in the mind for a very long time.

Looking back, the trip was unique but familiar, as it was my first Metal Cruise (and my first cruise ever). To say I had anticipations of what to expect would be an understatement, as my mind was flooded with expectations that were beyond all my Metal experiences, and that's a lot of Metal.

After everything was said and done, it was a \m/ HEAVY \m/ experience that left 4 days missing from my life. It also allowed me a chance to look deep inside myself in a way I never had a chance to do so, and changed me in a way that as of this writing, I still can't figure out.

Onward, to the final chapter of the Barge.

December 7, a day that will live in infamy. While the history books indicates this was the day of the Pearl Harbor Attack, another historical moment was in the making. A historic moment made of Steel. This was the day the Barge to Hell was officially over, ending another successful chapter in the History of Metal.

Upon waking up, the boat was already docked in the starting point of this journey, the Port of Miami, with all the Metalheads either still asleep or waking up and taking advantage of the breakfast the vessel offered before heading off to the next part of their journey (and for some, it was a long one).







For the first time in my life, I finally get to see Miami from the Port of Miami, instead looking at the Port of Miami from the Miami side.


One last shot before debarking home.


The Lost Vikings on their way home.


Since I live in Miami and my car was parked not too far away, my voyage home was a short one versus the others whose journey will continue for another couple of hundreds to thousands of miles away, and for once in my Metal travel years, I didn't have to traverse county/state lines, a region of a country or a continent and a body of ocean to get home.

An interesting story about my last moments on the Barge, I made 2 (amongst many others) new friends that were awesome company on the vessel, Karla (of Spokane, WA) and Alix (From my Mom's country of Honduras by way of Los Angeles, CA), and when they told me they were taking a taxi ride to the airport, I said to them let me take them directly to the airport as my way of helping out fellow Metalheads and to end the Barge on one of the many positive notes to come out of it. Thankfully, they made it to their final destination. Karla, Alix, Thanks for the great company \m/


It's now time to talk about the Schwag I procured during my expedition into a new Metal Frontier.


Haribo Clown Fish Candy. Purchased at the liquor shop of the vessel. I never had these before and as always, looking to try all the flavors of Haribo.
Rock & Roll Guitar Photo Frame. Purchased in Nassau at Sharkeez Bahamas. If I have to explain why this was procured, your Metalocity is definitely low on gas. Funny enough, I am still contemplating which picture to put in the frame.
Pirates of Nassau Magnetic Boat. This was procured at the Pirates of Nassau Museum Gift Shop. True Tourist Trinket Metal.
Crystal Head Vodka. If you read Day 3 of the Barge to Hell series of posts, this was the omen I mentioned as I found this in the vessels liquor shop. The price for this was about as good as it was going to get, and it was one of those "strike while the iron is hot" moments, and since I never (:::SURPRISE:::) drank this vodka before, I now hold in my possession a beverage that has eluded me (more like being a lazy bastard to buy it) for many years.
Pirates of Nassau Pistol Shot Glass. This was also purchased at the Pirates of Nassau Museum Gift Shop. Surrender the Booty ladies.
Russian Standard Vodka. This was procured for the simple reason that the Price Is Right, and Bob Barker wasn't involved in the Showcase Showdown involving this prize. Help control the emo population, have your kids spayed and neutered.
Harley-Davidson Bahamas Shot Glass. Purchased at their shop in Nassau (located inside Sharkeez Bahamas). Who says the Bahamas isn't Metal?

If you have been reading this blog for some time, you know at some point some of these items this will be featured in great detail on Channel 13 \m/


Next up is the Barge to Hell Merch.

First up is the hoodie. This was purchased as a unintentional tradition that started from my 2009 Wacken trip when I froze my ass off in my tent and needed something to keep me warm. Aside from buying it due to a personal tradition, it was also cold during some days and it only made perfect sense.


Heavy Metals answer to the Peeping Tom. You don't want this staring back at you.



Next up the Workshirt, since these days we need to dress fancy to show the world we are not neanderthals with no sense of fashion.



The Helmet shirt, an alternative to the main festival shirt for those days you need to feel different.



The main event, the main festival shirt. Keep in mind these shirts are emblazoned with the event you experienced (aka survived) and shows the world how far you have come in your Metal experiences.


This is how the boat looked when it left the Port of Miami.


The back, for the world to see who dared to entertain the vikings on this vessel.


A closeup, in case you need names of the brave few to entertain the hordes \m/


I feel the most appropriate final picture to end this chapter is the last picture taken of the boat as we were leaving the Port of Miami to where my car was parked.


Now it is time for me to thank the following people who made my trip \m/ HEAVIER \m/. Advance apologies for forgetting anybody I met along the way and forgetting names as there were many of you I had the excellent opportunity to meet along the way.

The staff on board the Majesty of the Seas for making it happen \m/. Double horns for the front desk officer who resolved the crashed passengers in our cabin \m/ \m/. Triple horns for the the brave ones who dared catch a Metal show \m/ \m/ \m/.

Hal, the Belgian (many thanks for your country's beer) \m/

The 2 Viking Helmet guys I met on Day 2, for helping make a epic picture \m/

Tulio, for having a kickass flag \m/

Byron, the hockey fanatic by day, paparazzi by night \m/

Sofia, for bringing out the Ghosts of Davey Jones Locker \m/

The Viking Chick, wished I could have gotten a picture with you, but by the time you came out the Metal Tourist subsided back into the vowels of my body, plus I was too busy watching the Metal bands \m/

The Germans I shared the jacuzzi with during Soilworks set. Special props to the one who bit the arm of another fellow fan and to the one who wore The Simpsons "I Wanna Rock" shorts \m/

The French fans I met in line getting into the Barge to Hell \m/

The Dutch Guy with the Iced Earth pants \m/

The half Spanish/half French dude, your Metalocity is "Sodom Approved" \m/

The scooter rental guy who made the recommendation of renting a scooter to check out the island. Many thanks on the recommendation \m/

The people of the Bahamas I met, and the bike cop who helped me get to Saunders Beach \m/

The bar tenders at the Pirate's Pub & Grill who recommended the Ginger Beer and spiking it with Captain Morgan's Rum. This beverage will be "To the End of Our Days" and the local Bahamnian who shared a good tale about American Football \m/

Elsie, Elsie's Male friend (sorry buddy, forgot your name) and Cliona for being awesome company and tolerating my presence \m/

The Vancouver and Quebec fans who I had the distinguished pleasure of dining with as we ate the supermarket frozen pizza specials like zombies on a horse \m/

Ogg and the Norwegian female he was with for the good conversation. Many thanks on the advice of using vodka to clean out a rifle \m/

The many fans with the Metal Fest bracelets that covered their arms, I should say fuck you (jealousy inserted here), but I can't stay angry at all of ya \m/

The twins from Mississippi, who one of them competed in the belly flop contest. You're a champ dude \m/

The Ice Machine for creating a frozen mountain \m/

Karla and Alix, for putting the cherry on top of this trip. Nice tattoos Karla \m/

Muzzah, for being Muzzah. Thanks for the company \m/

Amanda, thank you for your time and the chance to know you throughout this voyage.

Mel, gracias por conocerte y compartir la experiencia con usted \m/

And finally, the biggest and \m/ HEAVIEST \m/ thanks I can possibly muster with the might and strength of the all that is Metal, Vaughan Pollard. Without you, this trip would never have happened for me. Thank you again \m/

What's next on the Metal Trek Agenda? Mons, Belgium. PPM Fest April 12 - 14, 2013. See you there \m/

... The End

No comments:

Post a Comment