Sunday, December 9, 2012

Barge to Hell 2012, Day 1

Good day everybody,

I know Metal Trek was neglected worse than a Glam Metal band during the late 90's, but I finally got an update of "Hellacious" proportions.

Metal Trek presents Barge to Hell, Day 1.

My day started waking up with an unusual feeling of anticipation as I double checked all my belongings I prepared the night before to make certain I had everything I needed to embark on the first edition of Barge to Hell. I packed the usual items needed for a cruise (Passport, confirmation paper, sun tan lotion, boardshorts, regular shorts and jeans, my Chuck Taylor All Stars & sandals, shirts (my tie dye Metal shirts finest hour), skull dress shirt, and some new sunglasses and a special hat I built for this cruise (more on these later)).

This was my first time on a Metal cruise as the previous editions of 70,000 Tons of Metal (same organizers for both cruises) I wasn't able to make it, and to this day I kick myself in the ass for "missing the boat" (pun intended). This was also my redemption for missing the first 70,000 Tons of Metal.

I found my way to the Metromover (a free method of public transportation near downtown Miami) after parking my car and got off the station nearest to the Port of Miami. I walked my way to the bridge and saw the vessel that was going to be called home for the next 5 days, the Majesty of the Seas.



After crossing the bridge, I found my way to the main entrance of the Port, and as you can see, the place was swamped with Metalheads overtaking the place and ruling it for all of about a handful of hours before everybody got on the boat.



A closer look at our "Nuclear Wessel" (Spelled with a "w". For those of you on the outside, check out Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home).


My cabin mates and I heading off to our cabin after checking in. Time for a funny story. When we got to out cabin and opened the door, the room was already occupied by some engineers from Ukraine. Thankfully, the staff handled the situation perfectly and granted us our assigned room. Best way to start a Metal cruise \m/


While the ships housekeeping staff got the room cleaned out and held our luggage's, we decided to head top side to see where the majority of our cruise will be spent. As you can see, the bar was already occupied by the barbaric horde \m/


This would be a regular scene on the first day as they were still building the Pool Deck stage (aka the main stage) while everybody was boarding the vessel. This would be a major factor in tonight's "timely" scheduled events.


Next up is the Windjammer Café dining area where the Metalheads version of the Walking Dead feast (replace the living creatures with food that ran from pretty good to the local supermarkets frozen pizza special).




It was time for the obligatory safety drill. I have never been on a cruise before, but I have passed by the vessels plenty of times on my trips to South Beach and have always viewed them on the road side until today. The view was kick ass and ironic as there was the afternoon traffic the road leading to South Beach is known for.



Metal fans from the world enjoying the view while listening to the safety instructions.



This pic is inspired by the whole "sunset behind me while standing proud" you see in so many tv shows and movies. And yes, I am wearing The Goonies "Never Say Die" shirt. If you can't figure the connection, I recommend watching the movie, it is a classic.


Being docked in the Port of Miami for a long period of time meant other vessels passing by to depart on their voyage. The point? The Metal fans yelling at the passing by cruise ships bidding bon voyage, our way \m/


Here are some random Metal fan sightings...


...my personal favorite, row of us sitting on the pool lounge chairs.



This was a common sight as you head Alex Camargo (of Krisiun) and Shane Embury (of Napalm Death) chatting away. I6Z6A6N NOTE: This isn't backstage, they were just out and about like the rest of us. That's why this cruise has already kicked ass even before leaving the docks \m/


Here's the fellowship of the Barge; Murray, Vaughan, Mel and Amanda. Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to know all of you, and a \m/ HEAVY \m/ thanks to Vaughan for making this happen.


Here's a pic of me with Tomas Lindberg (If I need to mention which bands he has played in, you are reading the wrong blog).


Miami at night in the distance as we depart for the Bahamas.

All over the cruise there were monitors presenting crucial facts about the event, like the show times for the bands, breakfast/lunch/dinner times, merch booth hours, and important cruise info.

An overview shot of the feast being served to us.


The first concert I caught was Holy Moses playing the Spectrum Lounge, one of the stages inside the vessel. Notice the intimacy of this setting as the fans were not separated much from the stage and band.



An interesting side note about the Pool Deck stage, the first band to take that stage was Sodom at announced time of 10:00PM. The stage was not built until about roughly 1:00AM (Can't remember the exact time since I left for my cabin and went to sleep to protest the delayed stage build).

One of the last images I remember from the first day was the cruise in the evening in the middle of the ocean, which was like traveling in space, complete darkness and only the stars to guide you.


1 comment:

  1. This is killer! you are making want to go on one of these cruises. Keep the stories coming!
    Ernie

    ReplyDelete