Saturday, September 21, 2013

2013 Montréal Take Over, Day 3

In all my travels, I have found Montreal to be one of the most convenient cities to get around thanks to its Metro (subway system). It's always a challenge to get around a city when visiting for the first time, and the worst part is that one mistake can throw things into a disarray (like my 2nd day with the whole bus debacle). After recalibrating my senses and itinerary, I took the Metro to the next chapter of my journey, the Biodome (don't think this is going to be a reenactment of the film of the same name).


One thing I need to mention about a common occurrence I noticed during my visit is the use of freighter tanker containers as stores/shops. If there ever was a way to put something into a secondary use, this is it. Plus it looks Metal (in more ways than one).


Statue standing guard.


If you noticed in the first pic of this post, there was a tall, slanting tower on top of one of the buildings. It has a small car that takes people up and down so you can get an eagles eye view of the area.


The Biodome is located on the Olympic Park Grounds. As you can tell by some of the flags, it was from 1976 the event was hosted in this city. Take a lucky guess which is the 4th flag in the below picture that's considered "retired" (not the design, but is historical borders changed. See answer below pic).


Answer: Czechoslovakia. The design remained for the Czech part of the country, but Slovakia now has a different flag representing itself to the world.

The entrance to the Biodome. For those of you who have never been to Montreal's Biodome, it is "like" a zoo, minus the cages (with one exception (and with good reason), more on this later.), as you are literally walking inside the creatures habitat and natural areas.


If there ever was a way to begin a journey, this is it.


If this was a real frog, I would have given this place the award of "Best Zoo".


Be fortunate this is one mouse you don't have to contend with when it invades your home.


The Golden Tamarin Lion. The "gold" for the color of its fur, and the "lion" for the way its fur is shaped.


Macaws, about as typical in my city as it gets, but at least they are sharing the space and are good company (until the decision of who gets the banana rises into the daily feed, than its the Battle Royal of the jungle.).


The Tamarin observing us observing it.


Random sea life vying for some attention from the visitors.


Its a good thing the Capybara is not swimming in this tank.



The frog back in its home.



This next pic acted as a unanticipated omen as my next day is connected to this species of animals.


The species in question? Adam West alter ego in the TV screen.


If an alligator was to do this in the Biodome, it would enhance the "lack of cages" experience it provides (although the guest reaction would prove very different than intended).


The Tamarin's closest relative, the Goeldi Callimico. Both are kept separate at great distances since the potential of a fight breaking out between the both of them over who has the fanciest species name is very high.


Alligators. Where I live, we have this reptile running amuck. Still an impressive creature to view and respect since it can rip your arm off in one single death-roll.




Earlier in this post I mentioned there was an exception to the whole cage rule? Here it is, the Canadian Lynx. While not as big as its bigger and more popular lion and tiger relatives, it can still dish it out a heap of mayhem (don't let its size fool you, what it lacks in size will more than compensate for it mischievous nature).


The Biodome main aquatic tank. While not the biggest tank I have seen, it does have a  certain aura the other fish tanks I have seen can't accomplish. If I was to describe the species inside the tank, it would be "familiar with a twist".




Aside the aquatic creatures, there were avian creatures taking advantage of the shared real estate, with some putting on a unintentional show by being "themselves". The ducks are the ones who get the win for the nomination of "best actor/actress" with their way of floating to the surface.




With the "movie theater" portion of the Biodome said and done, it was time to get topside, but before getting there, there was a bonus flick to be seen, with the star having its place by default.


Actual live eggs (at least that's what the sign said). Gotta wonder where momma bird is?




Penguins who didn't show themselves during the premier of their movie.




Chillin'...


The opportunity for movie-goers to intermingle with the actors.




The action topside was magnificent as seeing the birds take the plunge to get their chow was very "theatric".


Wanna have an idea what it's like to be a baby penguin, than in you go.


Puffins. An animal I have seen plenty of times on nature shows, but never this close. Thank you Biodome.



The colony is vibrant with a species of animals that look like an excellent alternative to chicken nuggets.


Time for the penguins to have their movie premier.


Front and center to hog up the screen time.


Looks like one of those fancy socials seen in the courts of kings and queens.


Another one trying to have the camera to itself. Selfish birds.


As if being a star on the screen was not enough, a statue was needed to enhance the penguins ego (not that it needs it).


After the animals chased me out of the Biodome, it was time to go back to the hostel, take a breather, and head off to my next stop, the Labyrinthe Store, a shop that has plenty of Metal Merch Goodies. Before getting to Labyrinthe, another picture of the old churches I saw along the way.


Upon arriving to Labyrinthe, a nice surprise was waiting for me. The physical store was closed (as in no longer in operation). This is why I travel hundreds of thousands of miles, to get to a place that is no longer there (I6Z6A6N NOTE: It exists in the realm known as the world wide web).


With the visit to Labyrinthe prematurely done, it was time to get something to eat, and what was I in the mood for? Some more poutine.



Frite Alors is going to do something the first 2 places I have eaten poutine have not done, give the dish a heavy kick of flavor. Behold, La Cochonne (The Dirty). And dirty it was in texture of great flavor. The dish had the usual poutine ingredients of fries, gravy and cheese curds, but added was grilled onion and pork fat. This was the dish I was looking for. Thank you Quebec.


After taking another nap at my hostel (I know I mention sleep a lot in this series of posts, but you will be surprised how little sleep I get sometimes when I am not in vacation, and it is a underappreciated necessity in human health.), it was time to go to Katacombes with the hopes of getting into the Wings of Metal Festival. Wings of Metal features a number of really underground bands that have made their impact in the world of Heavy Metal. There was just one problem. It was sold out. More specifically, the tickets sold online were sold out, and they had some "at-the-door" tickets, but those sold out as well. Why do I mention this is for one very simple reason, it violates a core rule that I have noted time in and again. As you have just read, I can't comment on the Festival itself as I never had the opportunity to bask in its presence. At least I now know where Katacombes is, making this trip even more convenient than before.


As a planned alternative, it was time to go to Electriques Foufones, A Metal Night Club.


Before embarking on this trip, I did some reconnaissance by trying a very Metal Beer from this province, Unibroue's Maudite Beer. A fitting beverage for a place of this \m/ HEAVINESS \m/


Here is what I call the evidence to prove how Metal Electriques Foufones is. If this evidence doesn't help, I don't know what will.





Spreading the word.



The atmosphere of this bar is very fitting for those who listen to music on the iron side of the fence.






I feel the best way to end this post is to post another picture of Montreal's arsty side I encountered going back to the hostel.

No comments:

Post a Comment