Sunday, September 15, 2013

2013 Montréal Take Over, Day 1

The day of departure. Rainy as usual. For some reason, the last couple of years my city has seen a lot of rainy days during the summer season. I hate to be a superstitious person, but when I stepped outside and the weather was looking "bleh", this should have been an omen from the Metal Gods telling me this trip was going to have its moments. Unfortunately, it was... more on this later.


Air Canada. My first time on this airline carrier. If I was to describe the experience, it was very "normal". Like this sentence.


After 3 and a half hours, I finally arrived to Canada for the first time (I6Z6A6N NOTE: Officially, I visited Toronto when I was 1 years old, but as the expression on your face probably dictates, it doesn't count since I don't remember nothing of that trip.). The feeling was weird as I have never had the opportunity to visit this country in all of my travels, and considering it is right next door to my country, that is an injustice that finally got corrected with this trip.

Another one of my many random notes, I wasn't expecting to go on this trip about 1 and a half months before leaving since I did some research on the plane tickets and managed to snag a deal on the flights, which goes back to one of my many rules about travelling.

One of the things I noticed about this trip, and this was actually a good omen, was how convenient it was to get from the airport to the location of my hostel, which leads in to the place I called home for the next 5 days, Montréal Central Hostel. A quaint but extremely effective (especially location, with a staff that holds a higher plateau in greatness) temporary place of residence.



With the check in done, luggage unpacked and some rest, I walked to my first destination, Mad Hatters. I will say this, the part of the city I was in had a lot of scenic routes, with the below church being a fine example.


As I was walking towards Mad Hatters, I came across this store that didn't register in the research I did for the local Metal attractions. This store turned out to be one of the many pleasant surprises and saviors of this trip.


And to continue with the unexpected surprises, I managed to walk by Foufounes Electriques club, which was on my research of local Metal Attractions. More on this place at a later post.


One thing I started to pickup about Montreal is the "artsy" atmosphere it was generating. Mind you, this ain't no London or Paris (pardon me), but it is definitely up there in spirit.



As the march continued, I came across a mob of people sitting down in the middle of the street, and it was to watch a film for a film festival being hosted.


Some more of the atmosphere enhancing churches.



Mad Hatters, a bar listed on the Metal Travel Guide. It was only natural to visit this place on my first night considering the other bars and nightclubs. I will say the place is "okay", the jukebox did have some Metal tunes, the patrons (although not Metal) were pretty cool people, but the bar tender was a "unique" individual. What made him unique was his forgetful nature, to the point where he gave me and the 2 other people another round of the previously ordered beers under the impression he hasn't given it to us. Confusing? So was the bar tender. Overall, the bar isn't bad, but it definitely needs to switch its Metal volume from "7" to "11" if it wants to be Thunderstrucked by the Metal Gods.


With my run I Mad Hatters now in the history books, it was time to get back to the hostel to call it a night.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment