Sunday, October 13, 2013

2013 Montréal Take Over, Schwag, Final Words and Thank You

The day of departure. These are the days when you wake up and ask yourself "what did I just go through?". This question is usually reserved to reflect on the trip you just finished while it is still in your memory fresh. In one way its meant to help the visitor have a better understanding why they came in the first place. In all my visits, Montreal has to be the most familiar place I have been to without never being there. The cars, the city, and even the local people and establishments seem to have a certain familiarity from where I am from.

This trip came about unexpected and was a "on-the-spot" moment that I normally don't do. I also relearned one of the core lessons about Metal Festival Rules (buying the Metal Fest ticket in advance instead of waiting until the last minute). I hope what you see here is something to be learned but most important, should something happen in your trip, you can always improvise.

As I packed my bags in my hostel and departed for the 747 Express Bus Stop, the long ride allowed me to view Montreal one more time. When I got to the airport, the US Customs folks were on the Canadian side waiting to check if I was bringing back anything I shouldn't, making my trip even more convenient as once I arrived to America, all I had to do was grab my checked luggage and head off home.


One thing about my trip back home was the perfect timing the sun settled down as I arrived to Ft. Lauderdale Airport, and it made for a scenic pic from the plane. With this pic ends the 2013 Montréal Take Over.


Like with many of my previous trips, its time to talk about what I managed to pick up during my stay in Montreal.

First up are some of the usual souvenirs representative of Montreal. In case you can't see it from the angle, but the thing with the hat and red shirt is a bear dressed up as a Mountie. Another thing I need to mention the cookies, some of the tea, and even the chocolate had the maple syrup running through consumable exterior, hence reinforcing the stereotype of Canadians eating/drinking maple syrup like piranhas on a wombat (or Capybara?) crossing a river.


Next up is a owl plush doll I picked up for my nephew (the animal is an inside joke in my family), and some Haribo candy I found in the Montreal Airport which I have never eaten before. If you have read my previous voyages, this procurement is as obvious as it gets.


Now it is time to present the plunders of the raids.

The first 3 shirts were procured at Rock Mi-Chel, and the first one is the Vader Goat/Pentagram shirt. I haven't had a Vader shirt since their Revelations tour from 2002 (the shirt I purchased from this tour was destroyed during a nail polish fight with an ex girlfriend of past). Nothing in the back in case your wondering.


Next up is Korpiklaani's "Eat the Iron, Shit the Chain" shirt. Been meaning to get this shirt for some time and the store just happened to have it.


This is why Metal bands are \m/ HEAVY \m/


This next shirt is the most controversial one of the lot, as Slayer has seen its most darkest year in its entire history.


R.I.P. Jeff Hanneman, for all the good tunes you help create.


These next shirts were picked up at the Rio-X20 store.

First is Amon Amarth's Viking Horde shirt. This shirt was no longer available in the states for some time now, and finding it at this store was an omen of the finds to come.



These next shirts are the "hometown hero's". Cryptopsy, one of Montreal's greatest gifts to the world of Metal. Aside from finding these Quebecois greats schwag, they had a bargain that couldn't be "whispered supremely".

First up is "And then you'll beg" shirt. Small logo represents the price paid for this shirt.


Getting runned over by a bullet train willingly is Metal \m/


Remember what I said about the small front logo representing the price? I only paid $10CAD for this shirt. Bargains like this you need to strike fast like a bullet train (wait, I just referenced this for its Metalocity).


Next is Cryptopsy's Whisper Supremacy shirt. Now you know where the quoted reference is from.


IT TURNED INTO A FUCKING BAT!!! A side note I need to mention, it seems this city is obsessed with bats, I just noticed this?


Just like the first Cryptopsy shirt, a bargain was to be had with this one as well.


The next 2 shirts were procured at the Kody store on my last night in Montreal.

Another Amon Amarth shirt to add to my armada of Amon Amarth shirts. This is another shit we haven't had in some time in the states.


This shirt serves perfectly as one of those douchebag shirts the local Miamians wear and they wouldn't be the wiser its a Metal band shirt.


This shirt was the shocker of the bunch as it is a ridiculous bright blue tie-dye Motörhead shirt. Nothing in the back of this beast, but the party is in the front.


As before, it's time to say "merci" to the following people who enhanced this trip enjoyability factor by "Volume 11". Advance apologies to anybody I forgot as one meets many throughout a trip like this, and if you want your name on here, shoot me an email. Time to roll the end credits:

The STM Drivers and Metro Staff.

Ram from Rock Mi-Chel, thanks for the schwag and directions.

The staff at Rio-X20.

Anya, Garet, the lady from Lyon (France), the Trainjumper from Vancouver, the 2 primary bar tenders from Café Chaos.

Barn and Francisco from Profusion Metal Store.

Nadene (I love your face), the bald guy with the SKS rifle, Giraldo, the 2x Francis's, the dude with the Ensiferum shirt and the ladt from Michigan at Foufounes Electriques.

The lady who owns Katacombes, Annick Giroux, Moises and Robusto, and the people at the Wings of Metal Market event.

The staff at the Hostel Montreal Central, thanks for the assist during my visit.

See you in Wacken 2014 \m/

No comments:

Post a Comment